With an official unemployment rate of 20%, Americans are downsizing their lives. And while it’s easy enough to cancel Hulu because it has way too many commercials anyway, adjusting a child support agreement or co-parenting plan requires a lot more leg work.

That’s because child support is a right — it cannot be used as a bargaining chip, and modifications to it must be approved by the court. That process is called a downward modification.

When people first get divorced, they are required to fill out either a financial affidavit (Connecticut) or a statement of net worth (New York). Part of the process of getting a downward modification is filling out a new financial affidavit or statement of net worth. If you’ve been following my advice all these years, now is your time to show the world how organized you are. At the minimum, you’ll be needing:

•Receipts and statements from vendors

•Bank balances and statements

•Utility payments and statements

•Categorized spending reports

•Tax returns

If you are one of the millions of Americans who need help staying organized, we’ve got that covered, too. We can help you figure out what you’re spending on any given expense. We can help you create a spending plan so that you know exactly where your money’s going — because the states want that detail. If you haven’t been keeping track of your expenses in any kind of accounting program, we can be the ones to help you get started.

For this divorce-themed blog, my heart goes out to all those souls stuck in quarantine with someone who pushes their buttons, rubs them the wrong way, and grinds their gears.