Hitting “rock bottom” is a relative term;
it really depends on how far you allow yourself to fall. Sometimes it can be devastating to you or your loved ones, while other times rock bottom provides a firm foundation for something better. For instance, Manhattan has a rock bottom, but only in some places: downtown and midtown. The places where skyscrapers soar.
I was near the end of my rope nutritionally recently. I would walk into a supermarket, stare at the aisles of food, and think to myself, There is nothing to eat here! I knew that, of course, there was plenty to eat, but it all seemed so inaccessible to me. What I didn’t know until recently is that I was right; food allergies had been taking their toll on me and I didn’t even know it. The pre-packaged, stale, sodium-filled and sugar-rich eating options available in a typical grocery store are not for me.
I endeavored to make a change, and with the help of a coach I have cut out many things, and introduced even more things to my diet. I am now the healthiest I have ever been, full of energy, and on top of the world.
You probably sensed that the topic of money was lurking somewhere in the background of this inspirational tale of improved nutrition, and you are right.
Some people need help organizing their finances, just as I needed help learning about nutrition, and the advice I received from my coach is not all that different from what I tell my clients:
- Stop impulse buying. Take some time to figure out what you need, and meditate on the concept of enough.
- Throw your “premium coffee” card in the trash. Caramel Macchiatos are not good for your diet or your financial plan. What’s wrong with plain old coffee?
- Anticipate and prepare. Planning your spending habits need not take you all day, and if it does, consider getting a coach like I did.
- Cook! Making your own meals is almost always cheaper than buying takeout.
- Go for a hike! By having the appropriate instruments in place, you can spend more of your retirement hiking, biking, and flying to amazing places.
If you find yourself in need of help straightening out your finances, I would like to talk to you. Together we can begin categorizing your expenses, getting your documents in order, and planning for as many vacations as it takes to bounce back from rock bottom and into the rarefied air of the carefree and fancy free. You can reach me by clicking here.